The Design Manager is responsible for the implementation and achievement of overall design project objectives for a business domain. You will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on the creation of annual and quarterly project plans and critical paths, and oversees changes in project scope, as well as issues and risks that affect project and/or product delivery and implementation. You will also develop strategies for maximising contribution margins and billable utilisation for the Business Unit, and develop the designers through capability development and coaching.
The Design Manager possesses strong management and collaboration skills and can effectively liaise across various project teams, working closely with the Head of Product Design and your direct reports. You are able to guide the project teams to successfully meet overall design project objectives throughout all project phases. You have excellent time management skills and are able to prioritise tasks. In addition, you possess strong leadership and mentoring skills for developing the project teams.
Reporting to the Head of Platform/Product Design and/or VP of Design, you will uncover opportunities for improving workforce productivity and efficiency and can analyse the needs of users logically and recommend suitable improvements to current methods and processes. In addition, you need to be up-to-date with the latest developments in the design and technology sectors, and are highly proficient in negotiation and problem-solving for the future.
Develop project plans and implement design projects based on business objectives
- Partner with stakeholders and negotiate agreements on creation of project plans and critical paths.
- Gain consensus from stakeholders on project goals, objectives and deliverables.
- Provide overall direction for multiple projects with different timelines across the organisation.
- Direct appropriate resources and methodologies to various projects across the organisation.
- Lead project presentations to internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee changes in project scope, issues and risks that affect project and/or product delivery and implementation.
- Resolve issues encountered during project implementation in collaboration with stakeholders.
Manage design project resources
- Develop frameworks and processes for identifying resource needs and assigning resources.
- Develop strategies for maximising billable utilisation of Designers and Senior Designers.
- Drive the resolution of project resourcing issues.
- Analyse design resources needs based on project requirements and skill sets.
Drive product/service design development and administer design production/implementation projects
- Provide technical expertise and guidance on issues related to product/service design, development, and deployment for the product portfolios.
- Oversee the development of product portfolios and design monetisation strategies to scale products into revenue-drivers for the organisation.
- Collaborate and negotiate with stakeholders on behalf of the design teams to translate product/service plans to design production needs with project management plan.
- Oversee the design development process for projects in the business unit to ensure all parameters in the design production/implementation plan are met.
Enhance design development quality
- Approve all final design production plans and prototypes for the features and benefits of the recommended design based on justifications provided
- Communicate the impact on design production quality when implementing the recommended design production solutions
- Develop strategies for mitigating design production risks
- Assess technical and design production solutions against established user experience Key Performance Indicators.
Influence organisational development
- Provide design performance and performance review feedback to the design teams, especially to direct reports.
- Develop design teams’ capability development and coaching through on-the-job training to Senior Design Leads and Design Leads.
- Be willing to take the blame for the whole team’s mistakes and conduct objective debrief to learn from the mistakes to reduce/anticipate for future risks.
- Celebrate team recognition instead of individual, be willing to defend for the Design team to non-Design stakeholders.
- Ability to trust other people’s talents and to delegate authority, show the willingness to work comfortably with others, not just alone.
- Oversee the designer's learning & development programmes and provide suggestions to the Design Academy team for training topics based on emerging needs from the design team.
- Facilitate headcount planning and hiring decisions for the Design function alongside with VP of Design.
- Address complaints and key concerns impacting the design teams’ morale and performance.
- Ensure clear, aligned, and updated communication among the design team members under management with the other Business Unit or Function's design teams and stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Head of Product Design, VP of Design, Chief Design Officer and the other upper management team members to foster alignment on business goals, project priorities, and Design team's structure with company-wide organisational structure.
- Minimum 12 years of total work experience, with at least 8 years of project management and 4 years of Design team management, or in a leadership position with a history of strong project management skills, well-versed in data-informed product design and development.
- Minimum of 6 years as a hands-on Designer (education background could range from Visual Communication Design, UI/Interaction Design, Product Design, or any other relevant Design disciplines).
- A track record of hiring, managing, and mentoring high-performing interdisciplinary design teams.
- The ability to form consensus across a broad, fast-moving organization through excellent communication and interpersonal skills (including: negotiation, constructive feedback, presentation, managing expectations).
- Portfolio that showcases design craft with deep understanding of the Human Centered Design methodology (along with its methods and tools), willingness to learn and iterate, and passionate about design and storytelling.
- A deep sense of accountability, adaptability, and embracing ambiguity working in a fast-paced environment.
- Fluency in English communications (both verbal and written).
- Familiarity in using Design System and any other digital design, prototyping, and/or project management tools.
- Deep understanding of the eCommerce and/or digital travel and lifestyle industries, extra points for having successfully deliver products in/for the SE Asia and/or regional markets.
To apply, please provide:
- Your CV/resume
- A cover letter on why you think you are a good fit for this role
- A portfolio that showcases a list of work that spans across your career (especially the most recent case studies, bonus if there are some digital UX work), outlining the problem you are trying to solve, how did you find your inspiration and how you resolved it, what was your role, and the impact of the project.
- In a few sentences, let us know which design project you are most proud of in your career and why is it so or what makes it so?